- Homeless men speak out about need for 'safe sanctuary' in city after Cornerhouse rooftop protest http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/homeless-men-speak-out-need-12943263 …
- House of Brag, Eileen House, The Coronet, Camberwell Church St, Domville Grove, 362 Old Kent Rd, Kinglake Est, Friary Est, Pullens Est...
- So many great Southwark squat stories: Malt St, Downtown, Ambulance Station, Peckham Dole House, Railyway Cottages, 56a Infoshop, Black Frog
- Very early Squatters Network of Walworth newsletter. Many editions of their fortnightly Squatters paper The Wire archived at @56aInfoshoppic.twitter.com/t0zO6l2ix6
- 1976 "the only future for public housing..is the tenant take-over" They prob read that & made sure tenants powerless https://www.scribd.com/doc/77447470/Ward-Housing-An-Anarchist-Approach …
- For example, the as yet unwritten history of SNOW (Squatters Network of Walworth) in 80's is an incredible one of mass organised squattingpic.twitter.com/gWOY7LBGkn
- At the time they were leaving Council homes empty & taking year or more to re-tenant. Result 1000's of empties & lots of self-help housing
- A staged rooftop squatters protest containing around 50 people took place at Oxford Road, after threats of eviction http://quaysnews.net/index.php/2017/04/25/squatters-protest-cornerhouse-manchester-threats-eviction-network-rail/ …pic.twitter.com/7a1OckE6hL
- And when they took power locally they became rabidly anti-squatting! Just look at Lambeth and Southwark's anti-squatting histories...
- At certain point, when? 1980's? the Left abandoned squatting as part of wider housing struggles. Was it because they entered local councils?
Tag Archives: campaign
Avonmouth Squatting Victory On 20th April 2016 a group of campaigners squatted a council house in Avonmouth to stop it being sold. Six dramatic weeks later the squatters left, having successfully stopped the sale. http://www.squatbristol.co.uk/2016/06/avonmouth-squatting-victory.html In March 2016 the then … Continue reading
STOP BURNING AND LOOTING, SAYS FORUM By Grattan Puxon A gap in new Government policy allows UK local councils to continue with impunity their hounding of Britain’s 60,000 Travellers, according to a report submitted this week to Deputy Prime Minister … Continue reading
Café Francesca in Broadway Market, Hackney has been occupied for two weeks by local people to prevent its demolition by property developer Dr Roger Wratten and conversion into luxury flats. The occupation has received widespread press coverage, overwhelming local support … Continue reading
Shoot To Kill: Racist Reply To Roma Rights Father of eleven children John Ward shot at the door of a farmer’s house, beaten with a stick as he lay bleeding in a patch of nettles;shot again in the back while … Continue reading
Call for solidarity FROM St. Agnes Place and the Kennington Play Project in South London. On Wednesday 23rd November 2005 at Brixton Town Hall, Lambeth Council will be holding a full council meeting. We want to discuss the future of … Continue reading
Londons longest surviving sqatted streets threatened with demolition Jim, Kathy, Danny, Victor, Uwe and Fred St. Agnes Place, Kennington, is London’s oldest squatted street. Two hundred people are threatened with imminent eviction and the twenty-something Victorian terraced houses are soon … Continue reading
Petition to save Christiania, one of Europe’ oldest suriving autonomous zones, from destruction: Save Christiania IN Denmark the present right wing government wishes, with the support of the Danish people’s Party, to close Christiania under the guise of city renewal. … Continue reading
Travellers Tell Officials; “We’ll Fight For Our Homes” The first-ever talks with local government officials to take place at Dale Farm, the 85-family community threatened with destruction by Basildon district council, appears have produced a positive outcome. Residents’ spokesman Richard … Continue reading
The Dale Farm “Freedom March” is a response to eviction proceedings brought by Chelmsford Borough Council. Nora Egan, a young mother facing eviction from Dale Farm, has called the”Freedom March” against the planned destruction of the UK’s largest Traveller settlement … Continue reading