Nine squatters killed thwarting eviction in Philippines
Jun 26, 2007, 8:39 GMT
Manila – Nine people were killed and 10 wounded when squatters fought
off a government eviction and demolition team in the northern
Philippines, a police report said Tuesday.
The clash erupted Monday after armed squatters attacked a demolition
crew sent to evict them in the upland town of Rizal in Kalinga
province, 330 kilometres north of Manila.
The fatalities were from the ranks of the squatters while the 10
wounded were police officers acting as reinforcements to the
demolition crew, which was not able to evict the illegal settlers,
the police report said.
Police recovered three assault rifles, three shotguns, a hand grenade
and bullets allegedly belonging to the squatters at the end of the
fighting late Monday.
The squatters had occupied farmland owned by a powerful politician in
the province, had built thatched houses on the land and had farmed
it. The attempted eviction was conducted after the politician had
secured a court order to evict the settlers.
No new date had been sent to attempt the evictions and demolition